March 8, 2011

Adoption Thoughts

It's been 2 1/2 years now since Patrick and I started  talking about adoption for real. Before that, we joked about it for many years. Next month will mark 2 years for us that we first saw Laura's picture and began the process of adopting her. I'm still pinching myself that she is actually here. Laura is actually our little gal! All these long months of paperwork and waiting, waiting, waiting and she is really, really here!

Recently I mentioned how much English she's learned and how much she's been through in just the short amount of time she's been home. A friend commented that they couldn't believe it's only been 4 months. When I shared this with Patrick he said it feels like it's longer because Laura's always been in our hearts. It's just amazing how well she fits into our family and even resembles us! She has our crazy sense of humor and isn't afraid to stick up for herself and tell us exactly what's on her mind!

I love Laura just like I love my boys. She didn't grow in my belly but she grew in my heart. From the moment I saw her picture she lived in my heart. Over the 15 long months of paperwork she grew in my heart. I finally got to meet her for the very first time on July 4, 2010. I finally got to hold her in my arms on that day- it was one of the best days of my life! Over the course of 4 weeks of bonding time I fell in love with our daughter, Laura. I fell in love with the person she really is, not just the idea of who I thought she was. Yes, we love our Laura Faith!



3 Airplane rides to come home!
Laura was almost 4 when we brought her home. She remembers the orphanage and of course knows she's adopted. She also knows her Papa and her Mama came for her. We brought her home, "Up, up, up" she tells me, yes, we brought her home in an airplane. When I think of her time in the orphanage it makes me sad but happy too. Sad that she was in the orphanage for so very long and happy because I know she was loved and cared for. I know some of Laura's caretakers really loved her and cared for her.
Mama Keara and Mama Dousla saying goodbye
I will never forget the day we picked Laura up on October 28, 2010. On this day one of her caretakers handed Laura over to me as we were leaving and with tears streaming down her face she talked in Russian to me for a few minutes. I don't know what she told me exactly but I did "hear" her in my heart. I'm sure she said she was happy Laura was going home to a family who would love and care for her. I'm sure she said she'd miss her and think of her. I know Laura thinks and misses this Lady too because she's told me so! Oh how I wish I could thank her again and tell her how well Laura is doing! We love you Mama Dousla!


I don't know this Ladies name but we love her too! We know she read Laura's photo book with her those long 12 weeks while we waited for Laura's passport

Of course we love Olya too! The best interpreter in all the world!

1 comment:

  1. I know how happy you all are with this precious little girl. I read and reread you journey to find her and to get her and I have tears in my eyes. I have always kept Laura's caretakers in my heart. I know they took good care of her while she was waiting for you. She has touched many lives in her few short years. I look forward to loving her forever too. Love, Memere

    ReplyDelete