March 31, 2011

Kazakhstan Car Conversations

Laura and I have lots of time spent together in the car these days, especially with all our trips up to Shriners. How do we make the time go by? We talk. We talk, and talk, and talk! I've never had so much conversation from the backseat!

Here are few of our recent conversations. Oh, and you might need a Kleenex for these!



Laura- "Mom, I want to go to Kazakhstan."
Me- "Why Laura?"
Laura- "I want to see Mama Dousla." (One of her care-givers she talks about often)
Me- "What would you say to Mama Dousla?"
Laura- "Ummmm..... I would say I'm getting prosthetic leg Monday, I go school! I love my family...uh...."
Me- "What else would you tell her?"
Laura- "I'm a princessa!"
Me- "Would you tell her anything else?"
Laura- "I miss you!"


I'm so blessed Laura had bonded with some of these caregivers at the orphanage. I'm no psychologist but I'd venture to say that this was one healthy conversation.

Here is a conversation that me cry last week on our way to Shriners.

Laura- "I NEED money."
Me- "What for? You don't NEED money!"
Laura- "Yes I do!"
Me- "What for?"
Laura- "I go to Kazakhstan."
Me- "Oh, you need to buy a plane ticket then?"
Laura- "Yes, I go Kazakhstan. I need waffles." (She loves waffles)
Me- "What?!"
Laura- "I buy waffles for children in Kazakhstan. I bring waffles for children."
Me- "You want to bring some waffles for the children in the orphanage to eat?"
Laura- "Yes!"
Me- "That is very nice of you. I'm sure the children would love some waffles. Would you bring them anything else?"
Laura- "Yes. COOKIES!"
Me- "Oh, I'm sure they would LOVE that! Anything else?"
Laura- "Yes, I need money for plane ride".
Me- "Why?"
Laura- "I need the children to have plane ride and have family like me!"
Me- (getting all choked up) "Laura, you want your friends to ride in airplanes and have Moms and Dads come get them and bring them home like we did?"
Laura- "Yes, families like me!"

I could barely drive through the tears. What a great gal we have! Laura, I pray God uses your compassion and abilities mightily!

3 comments:

  1. made me cry, too! Thanks for sharing, and thank God for bringing her to your family. Robin U.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh THAT IS SO PRECIOUS!!!! I love that kid!!! What a sweet and tender heart she has!!! Thanks for sharing these Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful child...in every way.

    ReplyDelete